If you wish to use BrowseAloud, please click on the icon before opening a website link. Thank you.

Meeting Minutes

Friday December 18, 2009

Friday December 18, 2009




Date- December 18, 2009  Time    10:30am  Place- Council room – 41342 Morris Road


Call to order:

  • The meeting was called to order by Nancy Michie at 10:32am with all members in attendance

 In attendance:                      

  • Nancy Michie                      
  • Mike Thomas                    
  • Kim Johnston                    
  • Barry Shaw                
  • Ross Goll

Minutes of the last meeting

The Minutes from September 2, and 23, 2009 were reviewed.

Moved by: Mike Thomas                   Seconded by: Ross Goll


“That the minutes of the September 2nd and 23rd, 2009 Health and Safety Committee Meeting be adopted as circulated.”

Disposition                        Carried

Unfinished Business

  • Mike Thomas spoke about the Fuel Handling Course that the Road Staff had attended.  He was told that the eyewash stations should be lukewarm and the eyewash stations in the Works Garages are only cold water.  Mike suggests that a hot water line be brought into the eye stations.
  • Mike also said that every vehicle that is fueling at a Card lock station needs an eyewash station.  An option for this is to have a face shield for now until eyewash stations are looked into at the fueling station. 
  • Barry Shaw stated another option for the fuel handling is to have the tanks moved back to the Turnberry Works Garage, because they already have eye wash stations in place.
  • Nancy advised Mike to speak to Council in regards to the options for the eye wash stations.
  • Mike will also get a report on the options for the eye wash stations and bring back to the Health and Safety Committee meeting in January, 2010.
  • Nancy questioned that if Steve is using the cardlock to fuel the Building vehicle if he should have a fuel handling course and face shield. 
  • Mike stated that as far as he knew, Yes Steve would have to have the fuel handling course, and that there will be a course held in Howick in January, 2010.
  • Everyone in the Road Department will be attending a Wood chipper course in January, 2010.  The Course will be $500.00.
  • Mike learned that he should have 2-3 people working, for any wood/brush jobs.
  • Nancy advised the Committee that starting January, 2010 the Bluevale Hall will begin having Monthly inspections.


Regular Reports:

  • Workplace Inspections from September, October, and November were reviewed.
  • Barry Shaw questioned why the Methane Detector was appearing so often on the inspection reports, maybe we should have a second detector for when the detector is getting serviced.
  • Mike stated that the battery tends to die quickly in the Methane detector.  He suggested maybe looking at a permanent methane detector and have the battery operated detector as a back up.

New Business:

  • Mike Thomas was speaking with Bill Sisler, and Bill suggested that WSIB will be watching the Municipality alittle more closely due to the accident in the fall. 
  • If an audit is performed on the Municipality, we must pass 75%, if the Municipality fails, we will have 6 months to comply .


Review the Health and Safety Manual 

  • The Health and Safety Manual will be brought to the next health and safety meeting for review by the committee, and then taken to Council in February, 2010.

Date of Next meeting

  • The Next Health and Safety Meeting will be held on Wednesday January 20, 2009 at 9:00am at the Morris-Turnberry Council Chambers.


  • The Meeting was adjourned at 11:00am.